Hi, we’re DuckDuckGo, the Internet privacy company for everyone who's had enough of hidden online tracking and wants to take back their privacy now. For over a decade, we've been building our product, including new privacy technology, and working with policymakers to make online privacy simple and accessible for all.
Our app is now downloaded more than 50M times a year, and our private search engine packaged with it has become the #2 search engine on mobile in the U.S., Canada, Australia and the Netherlands. Oh, and we've been profitable since 2014 with revenue currently exceeding $100 million a year! Now we’re rolling out major new features, such as Email Protection and App Tracking Protection, and we’re also working on a desktop browser version of our app for Windows and macOS.
We’re looking for an Associate General Counsel to help shape our all-in-one privacy solution and join our mission to show the world that protecting your privacy online can be simple
In this role you will:
- Serve as a legal advisor on relevant business operations and assist in growing a team of in-house attorneys dedicated to enabling DuckDuckGo's growth.
- Propose and lead high-complexity projects, turning vague problems into tightly-scoped high-impact projects and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Partner with product and engineering teams to help bring our all-in-one privacy offering to the market.
- Analyze legal issues through risk assessment, risk management, and pragmatic decision-making
- Develop internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with international, federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with privacy laws and DuckDuckGo policies.
- Review marketing materials for compliance with advertising law.
- Assist in navigating HR and employment issues, both domestic and international.
- Support contracting, from vendor selection (including GDPR compliance) through contract execution, drafting template agreements, managing existing contracts, and advising on best practices, standards, and model clauses in transactional law.
- Manage litigation issues with support from external counsel.
- Assist with tech policy issues when needed.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the broader DuckDuckGo team.
What You Will Bring to DuckDuckGo
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience, with 2+ years as an in-house counsel at a fast-growing technology company.
- 4+ years of experience in leadership roles (e.g. Head of Legal, Director, Associate General Counsel).
- Experience in counselling technical product teams.
- Background in most of the following: general corporate, privacy/GDPR, marketing, advertising, transactions, and employment issues.
- Pennsylvania Bar membership, or willingness and ability to waive in.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment that requires getting up to speed on new areas of law quickly and effectively.
- Ability to lead and collaborate on high-impact and complex projects from proposal through post-mortem.
- Skills to wrangle vague problems, propose innovative solutions, and execute them with a strong focus on metrics.
How We Will Support You
Our core values -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- underpin how we work day-to-day and the support we give our team members. We strive to empower our team members to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work.
Remote First, Always: We've always been a fully distributed company with team members all over the world. We trust you to get your work done wherever, whenever.
Commitment to Personal Growth: Every team member has an annual budget of $1,250 USD to invest in their professional development. Every team member also has a dedicated Career Advisor, who serves as a guide to help you develop your strengths, identify your motivations, and understand your opportunities for growth.
Leadership: We have many different types of leaders and possible combinations of leadership roles, so you can grow your career in a way that aligns best with your personal goals. You can seek additional leadership roles by being directly responsible for projects, taking ownership of areas of the company, developing and maintaining internal processes, or pursuing advisory roles.
Work/Life Balance: Team members have the freedom and flexibility to organize their own work schedules. We want you to thrive both in and out of the office. We trust you to use good judgment and take the time off that you need to bring your best self to work.
We also offer paid parental leave, a co-working stipend, office setup reimbursement, and a wellness stipend. More support resources can be found in our, Team Member Support Guide, which explains how we make your well-being a priority.
For more information on how we collaborate worldwide, from leadership in our relatively flat organization to start-to-finish ownership, check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work.
Annual compensation range: $193,333 — $250,000 USD and stock options.
Hiring works best when it's a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We want to ensure that our hiring process is accessible. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each around 4-5 days). While these plans were halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we plan to recommence all company meetups in 2022.
- While we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average full-time commitment of 40 hours per week.
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check and must receive satisfactory results of the same, as a condition of joining the team.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that all information submitted is accurate and complete. You further acknowledge that providing false or fraudulent information during the application process is cause for denial of an offer, revocation of any existing offer, or other adverse action, up to and including termination after the start of your commencement of work.