We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as a Senior iOS Engineer and help shape the technology that powers the DuckDuckGo search experience.
As part of our growing team you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in our products. Examples of projects you might work on include expanding and improving mobile content blocking, running experiments to measure and improve user conversion and usability within our mobile applications. You will take direct responsibility of mobile application features, drive improvements, and own product maintenance.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Identify opportunities to increase searches and enhance the standard of trust online.
- Own major application features and take responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Collaborate with peers remotely during product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable code that works consistently across devices.
- Always work to improve the quality of the codebase.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Significant iOS engineering experience (5+ years), with experience working on at least two large native iOS applications.
- Experience programming in Swift.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns such as MVVM, MVP, etc., mobile threading, and memory management and how they apply to mobile applications.
- A fundamental understanding of complex data structures and algorithms, which enables you to develop and apply new solutions and confidently navigate and improve existing code.
- Ability to leverage both quantitative and qualitative data and to collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop effective UX solutions.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
- Knowledge of Kotlin and willingness to do Android related work would be considered a plus.
For over a decade, we've built a unique culture that helps us continuously improve job satisfaction and productivity. Want to know more? Check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work for an overview of how we collaborate worldwide.
Maintaining satisfaction at work is one of our company objectives, just like maintaining and improving our private search engine. Our Team Member Support Guide explains how we make you our top priority.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
Hiring works best when it's a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.