We are a diverse, fully distributed team from around the world, working toward a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a Senior Privacy Engineer and help build the privacy technology that underlies DuckDuckGo's search engine, mobile apps and browser extensions.
As part of our growing Privacy Engineering team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to improve our existing privacy technology, research and understand new online privacy threats and contribute to the development of solutions to protect users against them. Examples of projects you might work on include: researching how browser fingerprinting is happening in the wild and developing solutions to protect our users against it, running experiments to measure and improve the usability of privacy features across our products, and taking ownership of the technology that powers our privacy solutions (e.g. a crawler that identifies trackers on the web or the cross-platform implementation of tracker blocking in our apps and extensions).
We are a remote company, we empower our team to work wherever they want around the world. That means you have to be self-directed and self-motivated to succeed. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- Build trust, Question assumptions, and Validate direction -- you'll fit right in.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high-impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Contribute to and demonstrate ownership over major components of our privacy technology, taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Represent DuckDuckGo externally as part of industry privacy working groups, conferences or standards body discussions.
- Step up to resolve product issues that impact our users – large and small.
- Play a key role in improving our software architecture (in both our user-facing products, and internal processes) with the goal of increasing quality and throughput.
- Mentor peers through remote collaboration opportunities, including: product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across devices.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Experience working on privacy solutions in an engineering capacity (e.g. tracker blocker, password manager, or similar technology).
- Deep understanding of web technologies, how they can be exploited and how they can be used to prevent against exploits.
- Deep technical understanding of online privacy threats and the existing solution space to protect against them.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Annual compensation: $144,000 USD and stock options.
Maintaining satisfaction at work is one of our company objectives, just like maintaining and improving our private search engine. Our Team Member Support Guide explains how we make you our top priority.
For over a decade, we've built a unique culture that helps us continuously improve job satisfaction and productivity. Want to know more? Check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work for an overview of how we collaborate worldwide.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
Hiring works best when it's a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.